Monday, 4 February 2013

That's Just How We Do

Good afternoon. I'm Cat. And I'm a hoarder. Not in a 'file everything in huge plastic boxes and never throw anything away' kinda way. More in a 'I hold onto things that have memories attached' way. That's not so bad. A few things with sentimental value can't be bad, right?

Yes. Yes they can.


(Be warned, this is a bit more of a personal 'feelings' post than normal)

I've held on to things that in the past have caused me pain. Have made my heart ache and my mascara run. Things that were painful to think about. Every breakup I have gone through I have kept something. In one case I smashed/gave away nearly everything but one thing survived the cull. I'm really not sure what the point was.
I rediscovered this little hoard earlier today and have made a big decision. It's going. It's not healthy to keep it because it's a constant reminder that those people didn't love me. And I find it hard enough to believe I'm lovable without having those bits around to remind me. But they mean nothing to me any more. Neither do the people they came from. I need to stop being scared that I'll be hurt again and just be happy. Those things might mean nothing to me any more, but letting them go means a hell of a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment